Prior to 1860, area families had to walk or drive a horse and buggy to worship at St James Anglican church, two miles west of Lucan.
With the building of the Grand Trunk Railway through the Village of Lucan in 1859, the village began to grow. and a movement to have a church in Lucan gained momentum.
In 1860, the pioneer Anglican families who lived in and around the Lucan area built the first white brick Holy Trinity Church at the corner of Francis and Main Streets.
In 1891, an iron fence was erected, as well as a shed to accomodate horses.
In 1892, a furnace replaced the antiquated stoves for heating, and in 1898 a pipe organ was installed.
In 1899, the Rev. H. A. Thomas wrote that "a new roof and other repairs made the church so comfortable as to no longer required to wear his fur coat under his surplice".
In February of 1908, the vestry of Holy Trinity decided to build a new church in a different location. The building at Main and Francis required extensive repairs, and the frequent interruptions caused by passing trains were becoming irritating.
The property at Main and Frank Streets was purchased in early 1908, and was the site of the former Orme printing office. A special service was held on June 24th 1908 to lay the cornerstone of the new church. During construction, services were held in the Biddulph Township Hall.
On January 17th 1909, less than a year after the cornerstone was laid the Bishop of Huron, the Right Reverend David Williams, dedicated the red Milton brick church, and preached to three capacity congregations.
The church was designed by and architect from London, Mr. McBride, who included a number of ecclesiastical symbols in the fabric of the building. The round windows in the bell tower represent God, "without beginning or ending". There are eleven windows in the nave, representing the eleven faithful disciples. Forty lights in the church represent the forty days Jesus spent in the wilderness.
Click here to learn more about Holy Trinity's memorial windows.
Carlisle Hall, refered to as The Parish Hall was named to honour a well-loved former rector, The Reverend Arthur Carlisle. Reverend Carlisle later become Bishop of Montreal. Built in 1910, a small study was added in 1988 and a complete renovation of the Parish Hall was completed in 2014.
A church rectory was built in 1921 at 241 Main Street, just south of the present Lucan Memorial Community Centre. It served as home to several rectors and their families until it was sold in 1994. It is now a private residence.
An organ plaque presented in 1968 honours those who served and in memory of those who gave their lives in service to their country in the First and Second World Wars.
The present pipe organ was dedicated in 1997. At that time, the old and disused chimney was removed, and a new opening was made in the previous pipe chamber to allow the organ to sound directly into the nave, rather than into the sanctuary as the old organ had.
The granite baptismal font at the back of the church is a symbol of our entrance into the Christian faith. At baptism, water is poured into the font and blessed by the priest. the Paschal candle stands nearby as a symbol of death and resurrection, and serves as a visual reminder that Christ is "the true light, which enlightens everyone" (John 1:9)
Various banners have been made by parishioner Phyllis O'Neil to highlight the themes of the church seasons and Holy Days. The symbols and colours used on each banner have been carefully chosen, and have special meanings.
There are banners for for the seasons of Advent, Christmas, Epiphany, Lent, and Easter. In addition, there are banners for All Saint's Day, Pentecost, Trinity Sunday, World Day of Prayer, as well as one for weddings.